Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Time to get off my ass...

About a month ago, Boyfriend mentioned a study he read emphasizing, once again, the horrible health risks of a sedentary lifestyle. It's been proven that even if you exercise at the gym or go to pilates and yoga after work, sitting for long periods of time is STILL a health risk.

As a writer, I spend most of my time sitting on my butt in front of a computer (like I am right now) so our conversation really stuck in my mind...and scared me. Today, after the realization that the most I walked was around the block to grab lunch, I decided I have to make a change.

I have decided to start a personal 10,000 step challenge. I figure this is the best way to combat a sedentary lifestyle.

There's lots of similar challenges on the web, like
this one and another from Kaiser...and okay, I totally stole their idea. But the whole point is to get off my ass and get moving. It will make sure I stay healthy and help with so many issues, especially stress and depression, which are constant struggles of mine.

So this is my challenge: 30 days. 10,000 steps a day...(lemme do the math)...300,000 steps.

I will be checking in with you all weekly and keep a daily counter going so that I don't get lazy and end up on the couch for a Law & Order marathon, which some of you know is a common occurrence.

Okay, so who's with me?

Anyone else feel like trying for 10,000 steps a day?

5 comments:

  1. Hey it's your cousin :) I JUST started a group on facebook that is about the same sorta idea!(Well it also involves weight loss and changing eating habits) I will keep you honest! I got my pedometer and shoes ready. In fact I did 10,000 today. You can do it, it's really not that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have a pedometer built into your iPod Nano, but for those of us without Nanos, Amazon sells a highly rated pedometer:

    http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-720ITC-Pedometer-Advanced-Management/dp/B000MN92WM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I4BPDM0SKE2BD&colid=1DXYJBUYRZ5PV

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inspired me! I signed up for the Kaiser challenge (and made Sean do it too). :) And I told my coworker about it so she signed up too! Hopefully we'll all get some more exercise - including Gertie and all the extra walks I think she'll be getting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I have been saying I want a pedometer for, oh, years now...time to get moving, methinks!

    ReplyDelete