Friday, April 10, 2009

The Alameda Antique Fair and My Vintage Clothes Theory

Last weekend I finally was able to make a trip to the Alameda Antique Fair. The last time I went was December and I nearly froze to death. But this time I had a really good day.

The Alameda Fair is an awesome place to buy just about anything. And its mind-blowingly huge. One way I keep my sanity is limit myself to one specific category or item to shop for. Last time it was Christmas presents and ornaments. This time it was clothes.

And it's killer for cute clothes. I set out looking for a black skirt, which I desperately need. I didn't end up finding one, but I did find a super cute, green spring coat and two sweaters. I am a sucker for those two items of clothing, and I need to stop buying them. For some women its shoes, for me its coats. Good thing I work in SF.

A few months ago, my friend M. and I made the decision to only buy second-hand clothes. There are just too many good reasons to buy from vintage boutiques, thrift stores and garage sales.
  1. The clothes are unique. The chances of you walking into the office with the same dress as another girl is nearly impossible.
  2. It's easy on your wallet. Which also means you don't feel as guilty when you go on a spree.
  3. Reuse is good for the environment. Think of all the landfill and children in China you are saving.
  4. It's a FUN adventure. You never know if you're gonna come back from a trip empty-handed or with the cutest dress you've ever worn in your life!

I love that there's always one really crazy-goofy dress that you just HAVE TO try on, like the Madonna-esque, strapless, lace, eighties dress I almost bought but couldn't justify. I wish I had my iPhone for pics!

Now, I have some exceptions to this rule. One is underwear; I just can't buy used underwear, for reasons that I'm sure you all understand. Shoes I can buy new, too. I'm a size 10 and it's hard enough finding shoes I like.

If I'm craving some really good shopping, I always stay on the east side of the bay. It's easier to get around, cheaper, you can park the car AND there's always amazing finds. I will try to do an SF vintage expedition one of these days and I will let you know how it goes.

Here's some of my very favorite spots to shop:

  • Mars Mercantile (2398 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley)
    Always fun, unique and clever. They have dresses broken up into eras and all the labels are hand-written with fun little names. It shows how much thought they put into the clothes they sell. I bought the cutest blue tweed spring coat; every time I wear it, people stop me. www.yelp.com/biz/mars-mercantile-berkeley

  • Serendipity Consignments (1451 Webster St, Alameda)
    This is a new store that's opened in my neighborhood. The owner is always super nice and the selection isn't necessarily vintage, but unique pieces that fit my style. A few grandma things are thrown in there, but every time I make an excuse to walk over, I find a cute top or sweater that I can't live without. (Oh yeah, and there's a yoga studio there too. Weird.)

  • Buffalo Exchange (2585 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley)
    This chain is always great, whether in SF or the East Bay. I like this one because it's lucky for me. I always find cute pieces here; all I have to do is walk in the door. You know that pretty plum dress I love to wear? I got it here! www.buffaloexchange.com

  • Pretty Penny (5488 College Ave, Oakland)
    I love walking down College in Rockridge
    . There's SO many cute boutiques. I found the best little, black cocktail dress at this store. Some of the stuff is a little out there. That makes it fun, but you really have to look closely at the racks. It's small, but so worth visiting. www.prettypennyclothing.com
Oh, and here's the link for Alameda Antique Fair (first Sunday of every month). Be sure to let me know what treasures you find! www.antiquesbybay.com


1 comment:

  1. Anytime you need a new thrift store shopping partner give me a call! I <3 trhift stores and am inspired by your second hand only clothing vow :D

    ReplyDelete