Monday, August 31, 2009

Oakland Knows Food


Saturday, Boyfriend and I went to Jack London Square for the Eat Real Festival and it was SO MUCH FUN!

There was amazing street food of all kinds, over 30 different of beers on tap, lots of performances, an amazing farmers market, a butchery contest, cooking demonstrations -- all scattered through Jack London Square. We were only planning on checking it out and grabbing lunch, but we ended up staying there til past 8:00 at night, then going out for more drinks.

We were exhausted from the unbelievable heat, but it was SO worth it. I can't even tell you how well prepared this event it was. There were tons of people yet there weren't long lines because there was enough stuff for everyone to eat and drink and watch. All of the 70,000+ people were super happy and friendly (okay, maybe not ALL of them, but I didn't get elbowed in the face or the ribs the entire time).

It was the best festival ever!

My highlights:
  • Bean and cheese pupusas
  • Goat's milk ice cream
  • Figs with balsamic vinegar, toasted almonds and goat cheese
  • Grilled Chilies
  • Mexican mariachi band
  • Friendly people
  • Free beer poured by the brewers themselves
  • Butchery contest with flying meat
  • Kara's Cupcakes
  • Drinking raw milk for the first time
  • Courteous, east-bay crowd

I can't wait until next year. I think this was their first one, so hopefully the amazingness will continue.

Check out their website: eatrealfest.com

Did anyone else have the chance to enjoy the festivities?


2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! I got there around 8, enough time to split a tasting of 4 beers with Tim and to grub down on a hot dog, clam chowder and a cupcake! Somehow, it all went together nicely... . I agree, this festival needs to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cracking up about his constant fb updates while you guys were there. It totally made me want to be there! Next year, let's make it a group event! =)

    ReplyDelete