Monday, June 8, 2009

Birthday, Part One

I turned THIRTY this past week.
Unlike the stereotypes, I was very welcoming of the event. Twenties were a bit of a roller coaster and I am very happy to put them to rest.

My thirties had a very wonderful welcoming party -- it was the best birthday I've had yet. There were three days of celebrating, parties, and presents. But the best gift I received was something that I never expected. I have become content and happy with who I am. My sense of self has never been stronger; I don't know if that's because of the people I have in my life, I've reclaimed the title of writer and artist, or its just time and age.

What made me aware of this new contentment was seeing how all the most important people in my life were right there with me. (For those who couldn't be there in person, I know who you are and I know you were there in spirit.)

There's no hesitation in saying that these are the best friends I could ever ask for. These are the people that will continue with me through the exciting journey of my thirties and beyond.

I am such a lucky person to have so many special people in my life. And they love me for exactly who I am. There's no part I have to play, no need to put on a show. They like the person I am... and you know, I like who I've become, too.

I can't think of a better gift than that.

1 comment:

  1. Have heart, my 30's have been more fun, eventful, and far more fun than my 20's. My 20's were more of a learning and growth experience, to truely being able to enjoy those times.

    ~carlos

    ReplyDelete