Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day One, NaNoWriMo

So this whole thing didn't start out quite like I expected it to. Boyfriend and I went to bed early so I could be rested for my day of writing, but instead we were woken up every hour because his poor kitty was sick and throwing up. This has been going on all week, but we thought he was getting better! So first thing in the morning, we went to the vet emergency. Two hours later, we were exhausted, hungry and anxious. The vet doesn't know what's going on with kitty but gave instructions on how to take care of him so hopefully he gets better.

Sooo, I didn't start writing until I was waiting for the BART train. I imagined myself in a much different setting for the start of my novel. I should have been sitting on my comfy couch, with music playing and a cup of tea. But you know what? That's ok. Because I was able to write, despite the crowds. And I actually feel more confident that I can make my goal.


Okay, I know some of you have been waiting for a glimpse of what I'm writing, so here you go. Now remember, this is a VERY rough first draft with typos and everything (especially the stuff written on my iPhone because punctuation is a pain in the butt on that thing). Once I get done with everything this month, I will go back and rewrite, proofread and polish it up. Enjoy!

the dark dankness of the boat enclosed her in a filthy cocoon. but that she could get used to. it was the slap slapping of the water hitting below the bow combined with the ramdom thud-thud of the bodies in the cargo bay that made her want to scream. how did she know that she had corpses for travel companions? its called survival-something that Ana knew how to do well. its not something she learned. people in the city had it beaten into them that you do as you are told. color inside the lines and life will be just fine. which is a good plan until you deviate or get thrown outside of those safe cozy frigidly strict rules. shes seen it happen to people. shit happens and when it does theres nothing you can do but roll over and wait for Them. but thats not the point. we are digressing. ana had to survive and somehow she just knew what to do.

she crept through the alleys to the docking bay, where they load up the bodies and the alive but still forgotten people. after rooting around the very yard, she found a precious moment to slip on the boat. the clothes she traded the baglady for let her fit in perfectly. Oversized and tattered, they hid her well. As invisible as air, she slipped into line, onto the boat and then she was on her way to -- well we're not too sure yet. And neither is Ana. This hasnt ever happened before -- not to anyone shes ever known. But then, thats the whole point. shes not staying in the lines anymore. shes going completely off the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment